• Audience Favorite Award, Mill Valley Film Festival (A Double Life), 2023
• Best Long Format Documentary, Kathmandu Folk Film Festival (Muktir Gaan), 2016
• Nominee & Finalist, Vera List Prize of New School for Social Research, 2014
• Copeland Fellow, Artist-in-Residence at Amherst College, 2013
• Outstanding American Alumni Award, American Alumni Assoc Dhaka, 2013
• Ekushey Award, Highest civilian Honor (posthumous for Tareque Masud), 2012
• Chief Guest, Film South Asia (Kathmandu), 2011
• Best Film, Meril-Prothom Alo Awards (Runway) 2010
• Best Direction, International Film Festival Bangladesh (Ontorjatra) 2006
• Special Jury Award, Osian’s Cinefan Festival Delhi (Ontorjatra) 2006
• Best Film, Bangladesh Film Journalists Assoc. (Matir Moina) 2003
• Best Film, Channel I Film Awards (Matir Moina) 2003
• Best Film, Karafilm Festival, Pakistan (Matir Moina) 2003
• Jury Prize, International Video Festival of India (A Kind of Childhood) 2003
• FIPRESCI International Critics’ Prize, Cannes Film Festival (Matir Moina) 2002
• Best Screenplay, Marakesh Int'l Film Festival (Matir Moina) 2002
• The Oscars: Best Foreign Language Film Competition, Bangladesh’s first official entry in Academy Awards competition (Matir Moina) 2002
• Best Narrative Documentary, Three Continents Fest. Buenos Aires (Muktir Kotha) 2002
• Special Jury Prize, Festival of South Asian Documentaries, Nepal (Muktir Gaan), 1997
• Best Film, Bangladesh Film Journalists Association (Muktir Gaan) 1996
• National Award for Documentary (Muktir Gaan), 1996
• Tarokalok Award for Short Film, 1996
• Top Ten Women of Bangladesh, Anannya Magazine, 1996
GOVT & FOUNDATION GRANTS
• Kitchings Foundation (US) grant for post-production of A DOUBLE LIFE, 2021
• Jonathan Logan Foundation (US) grant for production of A DOUBLE LIFE, 2018
• VCFA (US) grant for production of A DOUBLE LIFE, 2017
• National Film Grant (BD) award for production of KAGOJER PHUL, 2012
• US Embassy/State Dept. grant for countrywide film distribution, 2011-12
• FCO Commonwealth Grant (UK) for production of RUNWAY, 2008
• UNESCO grant for research on the British East India Company, 2007
• DFID (UK) grant for documentary production THE ROAD TO KANSAT, 2007
• Hubert Bals Fund (Netherlands) grant for screenplay of ONTORJATRA, 2004
• Ford Foundation/BD Freedom Foundation grant for MATIR MOINA (The Clay Bird), 2001
• DFID (UK) grants for documentary production A KIND OF CHILDHOOD, 2001
• South Fund (France) award for the production of MATIR MOINA (The Clay Bird), 2000
• Ford Foundation grant for distribution of MUKTIR GAAN (Song of Freedom), 1996
Strassler Center, Clark University: Invited to give talk on "Human Rights Archives,Visual Storytelling, and Transformative Education." Nov 2023.
Mill Valley Film Festival: Selection of "A Double Life" for premiere at internationally renowned film festival. Oct 2023.
Northeast Human Rights Film Festival: Invited to present on panel on "Innovating Impact: Films for Social Change." May 2023
Evolving Landscapes of Human Rights: Invited to present at special session on "Engaging the Human Rights Archive at the Dodd Center for Human Rights." March 2023.
DOC NYC Only in NY: Invited for competitive round-table pitch session with major broadcasters/streamers for "A Double Life." Nov 2021
Int'l Assoc of Genocide Scholars Conference 2021: Chair and Moderator of Plenary Panel on "Projections of War: Cinematic Representations of Bangladesh's Independence." July 2021.
Liberation DocFest Bangladesh 2021: Guest of Honor at Closing Ceremony, June 2021.
Birmingham Museum/Bengal Foundation: Invited speaker for panel discussion on "Resilience, Rights and Roles of Bangladeshi Women Since 1971." March 2021.
Chobi Mela 2021: Invited speaker on "Contemporary Dissent: Echoes of the 80s." Feb. 2021.
UConn Human Rights Film Series: Presentation of “Threads” and post-screening discussion with Director Cathy Stevulak and Co-Producer Catherine Masud. Sept 2019.
UConn Human Rights Institute Lecture: “Open Spaces and Political Divides: Road Safety, Dissent, and Digital Media in Bangladesh.” April 2019.
Norian Conference Presentation: Presented at annual UConn-affiliated conference; screened 3-minute film compilation of student animations based on 100-year old Armenian photography archive. March 2019.
UConn Human Rights Film Series: Invited Filmmaker, UConn Human Rights Institute for 3-part film screening & discussion program. Fall 2016.
University of Kentucky: Invited Lecturer (“Bahas: Divided Identity and Cinema in Bangladesh”), U of K Dept. of Anthropology. November 2016.
Polytechnic School (LA): Invited speaker (“A Journey in Filmmaking”), Global Initiatives Lecture Series at leading private high school, November 2016.
New York University: Invited to present retrospective session of films by Tareque & Catherine Masud, Tisch School of the Arts (NYU). April 2013.
Amherst College: Screening presentation and discussion of THE CLAY BIRD attended by 5-College faculty and students, February 2013.
University of Chicago: Invited to speak and present films at 3-day program by the Nicholson Center for British Studies, March 2013.
South Asian Children’s Cinema Forum (SACCF): Founding member, Advocacy Head, participated as Bangladesh representative at round table hosted by the International Film Festival of Kerala. December of 2012 and 2013.
Cyprus Children’s Film Festival: Guest of Honor, children’s filmmaking workshop leader, with participation by children from Greek & Turkish Cyprus, held in UN buffer zone. Nov 2008.
Tri-Continents Film Festival Dhaka: Convener of international film festival of films from Africa, Asia and Latin America. September 2007.
British Museum, London: Invited to present two films, Matir Moina and Ontorjatra, as part of special exhibition on Art of Bengal. October 2006.
Columbia University: Invited by Lincoln Center Film Society Director and Columbia Film Studies Professor Richard Pena to present films and lead discussion with students in day-long special program, 2004.